Pretty Much The Ultimate Comfort Food!
It takes a bit of time to make, but it is well worth it!
SO easy, but you have to let it 'rest' (I am always too impatient!)
And be ready for some smoke in the kitchen!!!
1. Fully cook 1 roast... Crockpot, oven, it's up to you.
2. In a bowl, whisk 1 3/4C flour with a couple dashes of salt. Make a well and crack 4 eggs into it, add 1 1/2 T beef drippings from cooked roast (or use melted Crisco for dessert popovers).
3. Beat in 1/2C milk, til well-mixed.
4. Add 1/2C milk and whisk completely.
5. Set aside to REST FOR 30+ MIN!!!
6. Preheat oven to 450.
7. In muffin tins or custard cups, add 1/2-1t crisco. Place in oven til smoking lightly.
8. When shortening is hot and smoking, ladle batter into cups, 3/4 full.
9. Bake 10-15 min (do not open oven, even to peek, until after 10 min....)
10. Prepare Mashed Potatoes while you wait... And make gravy for roast
11. When golden on top and puffed, remove from oven...
12. Crack open on plate, add mashed potatoes in center, top with shredded roast beef and gravy.
13. Try really hard not to eat ALL of the leftover popovers with jam!!!!!!
*Sometimes they rise in the middle, sometimes they fall. Either way, they are DELICIOUS!
Makes 7 or so larger size popovers, or 14 muffin size popovers